Re: [OM] North Rim (was "Re: (OM) OT image stitching / panoramas")

Subject: Re: [OM] North Rim (was "Re: (OM) OT image stitching / panoramas")
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 09:23:55 -0500
> What were you shooting in 1970?
> I see you didn't reply to the age survey in '06, but I'm guessing you are
> about the same age as that Nikon, bought
> around '68.

I'm a couple years older than that. 1970 I was shooting nothing, but
it wasn't long after that that I knew how to use a Crown Graphic.

> The Nikon F blew on to the scene as the first system camera, with
> interchangeable viewfinders, screens, backs, including
> a 250 shot back, motor drives, lenses from 21-1000 mm, and all sorts of
> other accessories.

The Nikon F was an amazing sea change. It altered the course of
photography to about the same level as digital has.

> If one wanted an SLR, and I already knew I did, I've never liked
> rangefinders, the F was simply the best available, for
> function, design, build quality, lenses and system.

We've talked about this before, and it is going far far off-topic, but
I never liked my rangefinder cameras because they weren't SLRs. I wish
now that I was a bit more mature in my thinking, but oh well, that's
how it goes. Anyway, I always wanted Nikons, but really couldn't
afford them. I bought Olympus instead because they were "poor man's
Nikons". It wasn't until recent years that I finally outgrew that and
recognized Olympus for what it is. In all honesty, that mental change
occured only about five years ago--it's hard to nail down a time as it
was a multi-year process.

Anyway, it's good to see what some of our, uh, ahem, "older
listmembers" looked like before disco.

AG