Re: [OM] IMG: Mother's Day Orchid

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Mother's Day Orchid
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 10:53:07 -0400
Yes, there's a minimum flash duration but I think the camera and flash
circuits are faster than you think.  I have a little Vivitar 550FD which
does TTL on Minolta, Pentax and Olympus.  At ISO 100 it specs minimum
distance at 2.1 feet at f/5.6 or smaller, 3 feet at f/4 and 6 feet at
f/2.  The T-32 specs 0.5 feet at f/22, 1.1 feet at f/11, 1.6 feet at
f/8, 2.2 feet at f/5.6 and (a bit slower than the lowly 550FD) 6.5 feet
at f/2.

Using auto mode rather than TTL gives approximately the same minimum
distances.  The 550FD only has options for f/2 and f/4 giving minimum
distances of 6 and 3 feet respectively.  The T-32's auto mode options of
f/4, f/5.6 and f/8 give minimum distances of 3.2 feet, 2.3 feet and 1.7
feet.

Real comparison of these flash units for minimum distance is difficult
since the 550FD puts out much less light than the T-32 which means it
has to be used at larger apertures.  I remember trying to use the 550FD
on the 5D one time.  I don't recall the aperture but it was probably in
auto mode at f/2 and it failed to quench in time to prevent overexposure
from about 4 feet.  Now I see why.  But auto mode at f/4 should have worked.

Chuck Norcutt