Re: [OM] IMG: Finchville

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Finchville
From: "Jim Nichols" <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 20:18:30 -0500
Hi, Charlie,

I tried thistle seeds some years ago, and they created a real mess beneath
the feeders.  I use only black oil sunflower seed now.  The active feeders
get them from the feeder units, and the ground feeders and squirrels get
what falls to the ground.  I use a spring-closing feeder to keep the Jays
and blackbirds off of the high-volume feeder, because they scatter more than
they eat.  The smaller birds tend to be somewhat neater in their dining
habits. Squirrel guards and some overhead branch trimming keep the squirrels
off of the feeders themselves. ;~)

However, the sunflower seeds, a Canadian product, are expensive now.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA