[OM] News from the playing field

Subject: [OM] News from the playing field
From: William L Barber <nsurit@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 07:30:28 -0500
As any who have been around for much time at all know, I occasionally get on my
soap box and encourage folks on the list to trot their work out in front of
others in the form of juried exhibitions.  For me this activity keeps me
producing new work, being intentional about what I'm doing and makes me aware
of what others are doing.  In the last couple of days I've been notified of the
inclusion of one of my images in two juried shows.  One in an exhibit with the
theme of "Play" at A Smith Gallery in Johnson City, Texas.  This gallery
sponsors several shows a year and draws exhibitors and jurors from all over the
country.  The other show is one sponsored by Santa Fe Photography Workshops
which drew 3700+ entries from which 50 were selected.   Although I am a
bridesmaid (Honorable Mention) rather than the bride (in the money) in this
one, it is nice to me invited to the wedding.  As a graduate student in studio
art it is important to have these things on your CV, however those w
 ho know me know I've been doing this for many years before I became a student
again.  I would encourage each person on this list to look at local, state,
regional, national and international opportunities to get your work out in
front of others.  You may be surprised where it leads you.

While standing on my soapbox I'll take the opportunity to encourage folks to
find places where they have the chance to meet others with similar interests in
photography and spend some face time.  This may be a local club/organization,
school or workshop.  These organizations and activities will get you out of the
bleachers and onto the playing field.  You may sometimes feel a little beat up,
however you may also be amazed at where it takes you.

Bill Barber