Re: [OM] Moon Wind and Fire

Subject: Re: [OM] Moon Wind and Fire
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 09:51:33 -0500
>   Excellent Ken! Top marks for that one. Was the full annulus visible in
> your area?

No. too far north. It's been a dozen years since the last visible one
here. I got some grab shots of it, but didn't have the equipment then
that I have now. It's also an issue where digital vs film makes a
difference. This about the only time I really appreciate the
crop-factor of Four-Thirds.

I shot a couple hundred pictures in about 15 minutes. There are a
number of other pretty neet compositions too, but this is the shot my
wife oooo'd on.

Hopefully, I didn't roast my sensor. I was using live-view a lot. But
as I was moving so much I didn't have the camera pointed at the sun
very long--just long enough to compose the shot and shoot.

Thanks for the complements, guys. I've been working hard at these
moon/sun rise/set shots and find them to be a greater challenge than i
ever expected them to be.

Many years ago, in Pop/Modern Photography, (whichever it was at the
time), there was an article on calculating sun/moon positions. These
were the days before the Internet. I was in high-school at the time
and wrote a computer program for my Timex-Sinclair computer based on
an equation shown in the magazine. Grueling. Anyway, my goal was to
figure out the time and position for a lighthouse. I never could make
the program work right because I wasn't understanding the math
involved to fix my errors. Now, I just use TPE. Life is good.

The biggest problem, though, with TPE is that Google Earth isn't
always very accurate. I'm learning that some of the positions can be
off by a bit. There is a cell-tower I'm wanting to shoot, but the
position on the maps is off by somewhere around 100 meters. To resolve
this, I'll get exact GPS coordinates to work from. My handheld GPS
will get me within 5 meters, so I'll mark it that way. I will need to
mark this because the terrain is such that my composition will be so
exacting that I'll have to be within a few meters of where I need to
be. Even this wind-turbine is not mapped correctly. This is the third
time I've worked it and my position has been off each time. I'm
beginning to wonder if I'll ever be able to photograph it the way I
want to. I might have to choose another where the land is flatter.

Although, between TPE and another couple apps, I have a cool feature.
I can identify my subject location and my shooting location and it
will calculate each transit time/date. I know of one spot that might
work (it's about 10 miles away).

I'll eventually get bored with these and move onto something else, but
for now...

AG