Re: [OM] IMG: One More Bee

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: One More Bee
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 21:57:24 -0700
On 5/22/2012 5:08 PM, Jim Nichols wrote:
> What caught my eye was the circular motion.  I had suspected it was more of
> a flapping motion.  He looks like he has a helicopter rotor!

I know this has been covered here before. The famous, and famously
misunderstood, paper by an aeronautics student on why
a Bumblebee can't fly was actually a tongue in cheek challenge to his
profession about their need to progress further in
their understanding of the physics of flight.

One result was research that showed that bee flight relies on rather complex
wing motion and scale effects to achieve
what wings that size could not, based on simple wing physics used for aircraft
design.

Flying Moose