Re: [OM] Moon Wind and Fire

Subject: Re: [OM] Moon Wind and Fire
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 22:29:53 -0700
On 5/22/2012 6:20 PM, Mark Marr-Lyon wrote:
> I didn't try to do anything as fancy as Ken, but here's my photos of
> the eclipse. Taken with E3, Zuiko 300/4.5, 1.4X-A, 2X-A

Makes me happy to have a 1000 mm lens.

> , and a bit
> more than 8 stops of ND filters. Not the sharpest combo but I had fun
> with it,

I'd been informed, several times. But somehow, hanging out in the garden with
book and refreshments, reading, checking
my eyelids for pinhole leaks, etc., I simply forgot about the eclipse. Nice to
know I could create shots from scratch in
PS. :-)

Well, joking aside, I did enjoy them, and the last one is really quite nice.

> and I'll have a go in a couple of weeks for the transit of Venus.

When I was in my early teens, I lived in a high room with a view to the west
through the Golden Gate. One of my
amusements was to use my home made 4 1/4 in. Newtonian reflector to project
images of the sun onto a piece of paper
tacked to the bulletin board above my bed. The image was pretty big, filling a
fair part of an 8.5x11" page. I could
easily see sunspots, with some detail, and follow their day to day progress.

I wonder if it would be easier to simply photograph an image projected through
all that lens stuff with a simple camera
lens combo than to use all the ND stuff with camera mounted to the lenses. As
all the telextenders do is make the image
larger, they might not be necessary, just project farther.

No, can't be that simple, your focused image is small, for 35 mm film, and
would lose focus at greater distance/size.
And my aerial image was smaller; I must have used a viewing eyepiece on the
telescope to project the image to the wall.
I do remember that it was a focus-able image.

So I could possibly use my 1000/11 lens for projection of a sun image, as it is
designed primarily as a telescope with
eyepiece, requiring an adapter to T-mount for camera use. But you would need an
adapter on the back of your lens(es) to
hold an eyepiece/projection lens. Oh well, never mind. :-)

Speculative Moose