Re: [OM] Nikon 1 V1, was: Two-wheeling "kit"

Subject: Re: [OM] Nikon 1 V1, was: Two-wheeling "kit"
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 12:00:03 -0700
On 5/31/2012 11:18 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Click on the images on these pages for a full size view.  Note also that
> it does raw which I only just found out.
> <http://www.dpreview.com/articles/6600156832/first-impressions-using-the-nikon-v1/2>

Note on the first page that the V1 is actually larger than the larger sensor
Sony NEX-C3 (APS-C) and Oly E-PM1 (4/3).

I just skimmed the V1 review, and I have to say I think it would drive me
crazy, as would the little Oly. The Sony
actually looks like the most usable of the tiny ILCs, and with the best IQ, to
boot.
<http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonynexc3/>

That said, look at the comparison images in this review and the V1 review.
These cameras look really compact from front
or back, but from above or below, it's clear that the lenses are bigger than
the bodies and the combination is a very
awkward shape for compact travel.

If looking at ILCs with zoom, and considering the lens sizes, I can't see any
point in looking for the tiniest ones.
Rather, I would look for good on camera controls that allow one to control it
without getting into menus.

Me? I still think a smallish, APS DSLR and a good compact is the best combo.

Comparative Moose