Re: [OM] OM-D gets high praise locally

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-D gets high praise locally
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 20:11:33 -0700
On 5/31/2012 4:22 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Do you still own and use the 5D?

Still own it. Last shot was Aug 10, 2011. I think I had it with me on one more
trip, but didn't use it. Use dropped a
great deal after the 60D arrived the end of April. For several months, the 5D
did WA duty with 17-35 mm and stood by in
case I found the 60D not up to snuff.

That was just too much stuff to carry around, and I finally settled on the
Canon 10-22 mm for WA duty before serious
travel away from our RV started. An EX from KEH has done the job very well. The
first 10-22 WA shot appears to be 9-13-11.

> What situations call for it?

I'm not sure. At first, I felt I needed it in case the 60D had an IQ problem
such that I might need the 5D for some
shots. Then as a back-up. Now, I tell myself that it would be the best camera
for my various copy/macro gear with Zuiko
macro lenses. Certainly all the Oly macro stuff is set up for FF.

> I've been opposed to a smaller camera based on image quality

Originally, I meant to do some serious testing, matched shots, with the 60D's
18 MP sampled down to 13 MP for
comparison. I've since decided I don't want to know badly enough to spend the
time and effort. I really like the 60D and
don't think some small difference in IQ would change that.

I'm aware that IQ at the pixel level may not be quite what I recall from the
5D, but it is pretty darn good. I have the
sense that I have to be a bit more careful with exposure, but one tends to
forget the failures of the past, so I'm not
really sure how big a difference there may be. :-)

> and inability to have much control over depth of field.  On the other hand,
> it has slowly
> been dawning on me that most of my shooting these days is landscape
> where I'm looking for maximum depth of field.

The has never been one of my issues. I shoot a lot of landscapes, flora and
fauna and close-ups/semi-macro. In all those
cases, I most often want lots of DOF. The lack of easy deep DOF on FF was
actually one consideration against the 5D when
I was deciding what might replace the APS 300D. Should I ever decide to take up
Dawid style shallow focal plane images,
I'll just have to change equipment. ;-)

Articulated Live View Moose