Re: [OM] Quick, before the storm hits...

Subject: Re: [OM] Quick, before the storm hits...
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2012 22:43:03 +1200
Moose wrote

> On 5/31/2012 4:39 PM, Rick Beckrich wrote:
> > Thanks all... I don't know if it was the distance or the aperture,,, I
> > think I've had softer results
> >
> > in the past... I think.
>
> My limited experience is the closer the subject in focus and the farther
> the background, the worse it gets. Limited experience because I was
> shooting film and stopped wasting it on shots I knew I wouldn't like.
>
> Macro Bokeh Moose

I am quite puzzled by this on several counts.

1)  The background was already busy, and lousy bokeh could have been
expected as a matter of course. Now that I think of this, I remember Wayne
H asking us a few years ago to comment on the relative rendering of the
bokeh of about 20 lenses -  and in my opinion none of them had a chance
because the background consisted of a lot of tortuously bent branches that
were simply too close to the subject - one of his daughters if I remember
correctly.

2) The background was too close to the subject. Moose wrote " the closer
the subject in focus and the farther  the background, the worse it gets"..

My experience is opposite, as I recall. The closer the subject usually means
the background is relatively far away ( better).

The further away the background is ( especially when highly detailed and
messy), the better. Better because every little bit of detail becomes
relatively
smaller, more out of focus, and therefore matters less.

My 2 cents.

Brian Swale.