Re: [OM] The Convenience of Digital Cameras

Subject: Re: [OM] The Convenience of Digital Cameras
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2012 15:22:23 -0700
On 6/3/2012 3:03 PM, Chris Trask wrote:

> ... I do want to download photos, and all I really need from the CDROM is
> the driver.  It may already exist in my laptop, but that brings me back to
> the cable issue.  Turns out I can get those cables for less than $4 on eBay,
> but only for connecting from the dock to the PC.  Doesn't look like you can
> get one that goes from the calera directly to the PC.  Another design faux
> pas.

Huh, I never download images from camera to computer. I always connect the
flash memory card directly to the computer.
It just seems so much simpler to me, than loading a bunch of largely useless
software and lots of drivers.

The no-focus Casio I recently got has some sort of proprietary camera
connector. Makes no difference at all. Just pull
the SD card out and stick in in the computer.

There are many apps for automating the process. I mostly use Canon's
ZoomBrowser, which works for anybody's JPEGs, as
well as their own Raw formats. FastStone, a good, free image browser, etc., has
a nice download function.

I've accumulated a fair number of card to USB readers over the years, and have
a thingie mounted in a 3.5" external bay
on my desktop that reads almost all forms of card.