Re: [OM] Honestly, I haven't enjoyed Photography this much in a long tim

Subject: Re: [OM] Honestly, I haven't enjoyed Photography this much in a long time
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 16:33:27 -0500
> ARGH, you and Ken are killing me! I was all cozy with a great darkroom
> setup, and now I am darkroom-less for at least a couple of months more.

I'm sans-darkroom at the moment. Well, kinda sorta. Stasis is my enemy
where I'm living right now. In a month or so, we're moving to a much
larger house. I'm working up a change to the floor plan which will
give me about 200 square feet for the darkroom. This, of course, is
about 1/5th the size of Bill Barber's darkroom.

> I do concur with you, though. I shoot a lot of Ilford Pan F in my
> Mamiya RB67, and the superiority in all aspects - resolution, dynamic
> range, tonal smoothness - is quite obvious to anybody who compares two
> such prints side by side. Digital is great at certain things. But a
> good monochrome print (compared to medium format analogue print) is
> still not one of them. Not by a long shot.

It all depends on if the definition of "quality" is adjusted to give
digital an edge...

I always love the comment "I never got prints this good from my
darkroom" are signs that the person saying that probably really wasn't
all that good in the darkroom in the first place. We are constantly
evolving, learning and improving as photographers and technicians.
Who's to say that you wouldn't have improved just as much in the
darkroom as you have in the lightroom? It's really fun when I go back
and start applying what I've learned in the digital age to film.
Especially in scanning. I'm a far better scanner today than I was 10
years ago.

AG