Re: [OM] Phase 1 dynamic range

Subject: Re: [OM] Phase 1 dynamic range
From: Dawid Loubser <dawid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 12:36:10 +0200
Here's the interesting thing: Positive Slide film has *much* greater
dynamic range, as a medium, than what any negative film has ever had.
Apparently, it supports an object contrast of around 1:4096 (12 stops
dynamic range), vs negative film that maxes out at around 1:256 (8
stops).

Negative film, however, compresses a much wider brightness range into
this small dynamic range, which is why it's so easy to scan on even
cheap scanners and capture the whole brightness range, whereas slide
film needs top-notch scanners to capture the range in the media -
especially subtle tones in dark areas.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging#Scanning_film

I've always had a soft spot for slide film, loved shooting Provia in
my RB67 when I could still easily get it developed around here, e.g.:
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs48/f/2009/190/3/e/One_magnolia_at_a_time_by_philosomatographer.jpg
(Provia 100, Mamiya RB67, Sekor-C 140mm Macro @ f/8)

I've always liked the gentle highlight roll-off of slide film. Though
the range of intensity in the photographed scene that is captured may
be less, I do like the "analogue"  non-abrupt-clipping behaviour

Similarly, this night scene encompassed a *really* wide dynamic range,
but I love how the slide film handles the highlights (e.g. the amps
inside the shop).

http://philosomatographer.deviantart.com/art/Recursion-of-misplaced-values-128842422
(Provia 100, Mamiya RB67, Sekor-C 65mm @ f/4.5, handheld, 1/8s)

There is a reason why pros always shot slide film before digital :-)
I know I went off-topic, and of course, Chuck, you are talking about
"scene" dynamic range vs "medium: dynamic range, but I thought I'd
throw in a little discussion on the topic.

regards,
Dawid