Re: [OM] WORKIN HARD

Subject: Re: [OM] WORKIN HARD
From: Charles Geilfuss <charles.geilfuss@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 14:24:34 -0400
  They are clever animals. Years ago I had a feeder suspended from a high
tree limb. To keep the squirrels out I installed a plastic dome above the
feeder which at the base was about 18 inches in diameter. For weeks a
number of squirrels tried to get around it only to fall to the ground.
After about three weeks and who-knows-how-many attempts one clever squirrel
finally figured out how to do it. He would climb down the cable to the top
of the dome. He would grasp the cable where it attached to the dome with
his rear feet. He would then stretch as far as possible down the slope of
the dome and grasp the lip of the dome with his teeth. Once firmly gripped
in his mouth he would release his back feet, flip over backwards and swing
under the dome, then grasp the feeder with his back feet. Early on he fell
frequently but after a while he could do this maneuver in the blink of an
eye.

Charlie