Re: [OM] Panasonic to Bankroll Olympus

Subject: Re: [OM] Panasonic to Bankroll Olympus
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2012 14:17:26 -0700
On 6/7/2012 7:28 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
> The company I'd be sucking up to in a big way is Samsung. Mobilization
> (Internet enabled) of photography is the future and there are only
> three companies that have this mobilization thing really nailed down:
> Apple, Google and Samsung. ... But until Panasonic figures out that the P&S
> market is dying very fast without a mobilization product, both
> Panasonic and Olympus will end up as footnotes in the history of
> photography.

All true, I suspect. But as usual, the process in early stages is ugly.

I've had three people come to me recently asking me to take 'high resolution'
photos or portraits for them. At first, I
was puzzled, as the uses intended didn't require high resolution to my mind.

Then I realized that the extent to which everyday photography has come to be
done with mobile devices. So people are
submitting images that are noisy, smeary and often just too unnatural looking.
By high rez, they simply meant clear and
clean, not large.

People think a 780 pixel high portrait I downsample from an 18 MP original is
really high rez.

iPad 2 images looked pretty good on the 'Pad. New iPad images aren't quite up
to the new display and just awful full
size. No, not awful in a good way. :-)

I guess the cycle is repeating, the gap in quality between most photographs and
the few is widening again, returning to
when the masses took generally awful pics with the likes of Instamatics and
those with serious equipment and results are
few.

Highly Resolved Moose