Re: [OM] Welcome, Tina!

Subject: Re: [OM] Welcome, Tina!
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2012 17:49:02 -0500
Tina wrote:
> I'll take the 100mm - one of my favorite lengths in the Leica R's  ;-)

OK, so Tina has the proxy 100/2. Trust me, this is one amazing lens.
You will not be disappointed by this choice. This is a lens that maxes
out digital sensors or film wide-open. The bokeh is from another
planet, but the sharpness is such that one could suggest is actually
too sharp for portraiture.

So, Dr. Ted. That means you get the proxy 35-80mm F2.8 zoom I don't
know how familiar you are with it, but it is probably Olympus' last
optical triumph in the OM line. This lens is as sharp or sharper than
any other lens in the covered range. The bokeh is possibly better than
the 100/2, but it also has a very very unusual trait. It gives
subject-background separation that reminds me a bit of those fake 3D
redos that the History Channel is so apt to do on their productions.
Not in a hokey bad way, though. The resulting image is like if it's a
portrait, you can reach behind the person in the photograph.

Also at your disposal are proxy lenses from 24mm to 300mm. Enjoy.

(BTW, these proxy lenses aren't so proxy when I get together with
other photographers. My lenses are their lenses. Everything except for
the rolls of film inside the camera bodies is sharable).

The culture here on this list is a bit like sitting aroudn a campfire.
Discussions come and go and we occasionally actually go on-topic. The
theme may be "Olympus OM", but we're all about photography and
community. Grab a handful of sunflower seeds and join us as we spit
shells into the fire.

AG

--
Ken Norton