Re: [OM] OT: I understand how Brian feels

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: I understand how Brian feels
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 11:58:10 -0500
Regarding FTTH (Fiber to the home), there are reasons why telephone
companies may or may not deploy it. In a "greenfield" environment, we will
almost always use fiber. But to replace all the copper phone lines with
fiber in an area is mostly governed by replacement cycles of infrastructure.

I'm the lead tactical planner of a large telco over a four state region. I
have to deal with these issues mostly in regards to business customers and
intercity connectivity, but have to be aware of the local loops too.

Is there a major technological advantage to fiber? Sure, of course. But
there are distinct disadvantages too. Copper ain't dead yet. We can still
deliver many tens of megabits of bandwidth over copper. Gigabits require
fiber, though.

Biggest advantage of fiber is that the toothless wonders who steal our
cables in the night discover that there isn't any copper inside to sell for
scrap. LOL, we had a fun one the other day. These guys were trying to steal
the cable that went to the local central dispatch office. Duh.

Due to the cost of copper, fiber is less expensive. Equipment is still more
expensive, though.

Most people don't realize that the biggest speed problems isn't the
connectivity to your house, but the backhaul network going out of town.
That's where the really expensive upgrades are. i was working up the plans
through 2016. I couldn't go any further because no existing affordable
technology allows me to. Fun stuff.

AG

--
Ken Norton