Re: [OM] The last time I used an OM-1

Subject: Re: [OM] The last time I used an OM-1
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 11:14:39 -0500
On Mon, Jun 11, 2012, at 09:00 AM, Chris Trask wrote:

>      The one photo of the bicycles reminded me that both of mine are
>      considered "vintage".  One is a Motobecane that I bought new about
>      42 years ago, and the other is a Nishiki of about the same age that
>      I bought in a thrift store for $15 three weeks ago.  I've overhauled
>      that one and need to fine tune it every so often as the lubricant
>      works its' way into the gummed up shifters.  I need to make a pair
>      of lock nuts for the shifters as you cannot buy them for any amount
>      of money.

We have a "bicycle library" in town that lends a bike for a few months
for about $15.  You get your money back if you bring it back.
Interesting business model.  Works for us pinko types.

They also offer access to benches and tools for DIY-ers.  I took my 1976
Fuji ten-speed in and updated the crankset and wheels with some lighter
and more modern stuff.  Total charge:  $35, including several hours of
bench time.  Most of the guys who work there have a steel-frame bike for
in-town and adverse weather riding.  One-speed is just fine.  The good
bike is for weekends and long rides.  Mine is anomalous because it has
always been garaged.  It's too good for a beater and too heavy (for
them) to ride.

But I'm training to do a couple legs of RAGBRAI on it.  If I am
successful covering the 85-mile middle leg, I might treat myself to a
more modern road bike -- perhaps another Fuji.  I'm partial to Fuji in
so many ways.

Joel W.

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - Same, same, but different...