Re: [OM] Was: Patience, Now: Dr.Ted.

Subject: Re: [OM] Was: Patience, Now: Dr.Ted.
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 21:11:59 -0500
> A vision of the red spot ?

Well...

This past weekend we had a city-wide garage sale. So on Friday and
Saturday we cruised dozens of these horrid things. I'm sorry, but
there are only so many tables full of baby and kid clothes I can
handle. Oh, and other brickbracks which never did serve any useful
purpose EVER!

But we did manage to "Fang" a couple of beautiful prom dresses for $40
each. Shoes for another $1. I kept an eye out for Leicas, but didn't
see any.

My transitioning started a couple years ago when I started shooting as
though the camera was a rangefinder. Obviously, this is a bit easier
with my PanaLeica DMC-L1, but I also applied the same techniques to
the OM bodies. We discussed this at length. But part of this was also
a change in subject placement techniques. I no longer was going as
wide or as long with the focal lengths. I rediscovered my 35mm lens
and got back into my sweet spot of one to two body lengths shooting.

Part of this transitioning process is recognizing that I am no longer
comfortable shooting what and how I've been shooting. (Yes, I'm using
the term "transitioning" deliberately as it is quite close to extreme
change I'm undergoing). I'm sick and tired of copying my own work.
It's time to break some serious molds.

The darkroom is actually a critical point in all this. It frees me up
from having to earn money WITH the camera and can go back to making
money with somebody else's camera. There's more money in selling
supplies to gold miners than gold mining itself. The darkroom will
also allow me to explore some artistic options which I've been toying
with for a while now.

It's not that I'll totally abandon everything out there--SWMBO still
wants me to make "pretty pictures", but "pretty pictures" are no
longer satisfying. Consider this my photographic mid-life crisis.

And I really don't enjoy photographing weddings all that much...

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx