Re: [OM] Student Photo

Subject: Re: [OM] Student Photo
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 12:20:59 -0400
A friend of my older son's is the director of a small non-profit in Bristol
that's trying to become a kind of community focus point. They have an
after-school program, a farmer's market, a community lunch and some other
stuff. Jon had the bright idea of an enrichment course in photography for some
of the grammar school kids. I was reluctant, but couldn't figure out how to
refuse. My wife laughed out loud when I told her what I'd signed up for. She
also seemed kinda proud. <g>

So after about five minutes of the first class I was in love with all of them.
The energy is fantastic, and watching them flit around with their cameras
taking pictures of all manner of things just tickled me pink. I tried to teach
them a few basics having to do with color temperature at different times of
day, and composition and such, and surprisingly enough, they picked up on quite
a bit of it.

I think these kids are smarter than I was at their age. 'course, that wouldn't
take much.

So Jon's already got me teaching a summer course later this month, and I've
promised another after-school enrichment course in the fall.

It's just too much fun to refuse.

--Bob

PS I'm catching up on the list in between printing their pictures for an
exhibition we're having Thursday. Gonna mount something resembling a gallery
opening to show off their work. Each kid has three pictures in the show, for a
total of 15 pics. Plus portraits of them that I took. Haven't examined mine,
but if they're not up to snuff, the kids have plenty of hysterically funny
pictures of each other.

Did I mention how much fun I was having?