Re: [OM] An actual jpeg

Subject: Re: [OM] An actual jpeg
From: Tina Manley <images@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 20:45:30 -0400
Digital looks plastic to me because there is no texture.  It's all too
smooth - like plastic.  I am used to seeing grain in photos but I think it
is more than that.  I do love my M8 and M9 cameras and the files from them
cannot be faulted.  There is plenty of detail but I want more.  I want the
texture that divides digital from film.  I'm not a film fanatic and would
never go back to the darkroom - after 30 years, I developed allergies and
cannot go back.  Film photos or digital photos with grain have a 3-D look
and depth that I just don't see in straight digital files.  I take hundreds
of digital photos of my grandkids and animals and family trips that are
fine for the family albums but if I'm going to print them or post them to a
photo site, I will add some grain, usually with a film simulator like
Exposure 3.  The effect is extremely subtle but makes a difference to me.
 I never shoot JPEG!

Tina

 Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 8:26 PM, Chuck Norcutt
<chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> I've been wondering my Tina thinks digital looks plastic.  From what I
> recall here she is a firm proponent of shooting raw.  But shooting JPEG
> at higher ISOs and giving you camera license to suppress the noise can
> certainly lead to featureless images.
>
> As to the effects of grain or noise and what it can do to images I
> remember some years ago seeing some sample images (IIRC) on
> Luminous-Landscape.  A building in the far distance seemed to have
> shingle detail in its roof.  However, the apparent detail was just
> that... apparent.  The "shingles" were actually just noise and shouldn't
> have been there.
>
> Chuck Norcutt
>

> On 6/12/2012 7:04 PM, Moose wrote:
> > On 6/12/2012 6:30 AM, Tina Manley wrote:
> >> Hi, Moose -
> >>
> >> I'll have to admit that I like grain unless it is so coarse as to
> interfere
> >> with or dominate the photo.  I like what you did with Alejandrina,
> though.
> >
> > Thanks! I wonder what she looks like now, at 13?
> >
> >> Noise remover program?
> >
> > NeatImage. It was the best for me back when I compared a few. Whether it
> is now, I have no idea, but still very competent.
> >
> >> My main objection to most digital is that it is too plastic looking so I
> >> usually even add grain to digital - just a tiny bit!
> >
> > I can't go that far! Since I mostly shoot things with a lot of detail
> and/or texture, I don't perceive a lot of plastic
> > look problems. When I reduce noise, I do try to find a balance between
> making the noise unobtrusive and avoiding
> > obscuring detail or over smoothing.
> >
> > Quiet Moose
> >
> --

Tina Manley, ASMP