Re: [OM] IMG: Faviana and Reymundo

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Faviana and Reymundo
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 13:56:44 -0500
Tina,
I was waiting for your answer to Moose in order to weigh in.  I have
also looked at your subsequent image (the 53-year-old gentleman going on
103 -- very compelling image!).  The image of Faviana struck me as
originally underexposed.  Would work well enough projected, but it will
be difficult to scan.  The second image reminds me of my experience with
Silverfast.  If you are really getting HDR raw scans without
adjustments, just ignore me.

My experience with Silverfast was that it usually added contrast.
Sometimes the result was great, and sometimes it was awful and there
wasn't anything I could do about it.

The latest iteration of Vuescan does not preclude further PP, but it
doesn't destroy detail that you can't get back.  Ironically, it is
better than ever with Kodachrome (now that you can't get it anymore --
on the other hand, there are probably more surviving KM/R exposures out
there than any other type of film).  If you haven't used it for many
years, you will scarcely recognize what is has become.  I'm talking
about the scan results, not the interface.

I think what you are looking for is to get the highlights dead on and
then use something like the highlight/shadows tool to fill in the
midtones a bit.  I usually pull the shadow slider between 10 and 20 and
then reduce the radius (?) to between 50 and 20 until it looks decent.
Messing with this will goof up saturation, so selectively increasing
colors to bring them back to normal helps sometimes.  Also, the PS >
Adjustment > Photo Filter often provides helpful overall color
correction.  I used to use a light warming or cooling filter on the
lense with Kodachrome back in the day.  The counterparts in PS are
amazingly reminiscent of the effects those filters gave.

FWIW I use both an old Polaroid Sprintscan 4000 and an Epson V600, the
latter mainly, but not exclusively, for MF.

Joel W.