Re: [OM] IMG: Les Baux-de-Provence - Scan-Grain-Noise, etc

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Les Baux-de-Provence - Scan-Grain-Noise, etc
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 14:10:46 -0500
> I am still trying to wrap my mind around a principle I learned about
> picking an appropriate resolution for a TV.  Pick it by the viewing
> distance.  720 pixels might be OK if you are far enough away.  If you
> are up closer, you will be unhappy with anything less than 1080p, unless
> the screen size is fairly small.

1080p for the on-screen clarity.

Physical size is screen height of 1/5th to 1/8th average viewing distance.

The house I stay in during the week has this big honkin Sony something
the guy bought a couple months ago. Don't ask me what model it is, but
it's up the food chain a bit.

My oh my how things have changed. I could actually be interested in
watching TV with this thing. Even standard-def looks outstanding on
it. The scaling engine is amazingly good.

Sound totally sucks, though.

AG