Re: [OM] IMG: Faviana and Reymundo

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Faviana and Reymundo
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 13:22:11 -0700
On 6/14/2012 11:56 AM, Joel Wilcox wrote:
> The latest iteration of Vuescan does not preclude further PP, but it
> doesn't destroy detail that you can't get back.  Ironically, it is
> better than ever with Kodachrome (now that you can't get it anymore --
> on the other hand, there are probably more surviving KM/R exposures out
> there than any other type of film).  If you haven't used it for many
> years, you will scarcely recognize what is has become.  I'm talking
> about the scan results, not the interface.
>
> I think what you are looking for is to get the highlights dead on and
> then use something like the highlight/shadows tool to fill in the
> midtones a bit.

VS lets you get the highlights right in the scan, and also set the black point,
although I find that less often an issue.

> I usually pull the shadow slider between 10 and 20 and
> then reduce the radius (?) to between 50 and 20 until it looks decent.
> Messing with this will goof up saturation, so selectively increasing
> colors to bring them back to normal helps sometimes.

If the scan is right, I think less than 10 is better, and with tonal width set
right, doesn't mess up overall saturation
and contrast. Then again, I'm usually headed for some LCE as next step.

> Also, the PS>  Adjustment>  Photo Filter often provides helpful overall color
> correction.

Yup. If I can find a white or neutral gray, I use the WB dropper. Even if it's
not quite right, doing it in a layer and
adjusting opacity will often do the trick. IF those don't work, it's off to the
Photo Filters.

Electronically Filtered Moose