Re: [OM] IMG: The Art Above Us

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: The Art Above Us
From: "Jim Nichols" <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 11:24:00 -0500
Hi Moose,

Well, I asked for a critique, and I got what I requested.  You are right on
all counts.  However, we have two different points of view.  I enjoy working
with old hardware, perhaps because I fit that description myself, at 82.  In
addition to old camera gear, I also keep a couple of old cars and trucks in
daily service.  As to the software, that just starts the snowball rolling.
The latest photo software won't run on my faithful old Dell 4700 and Win XP.
Besides, I am comfortable with the stuff I use, even though I don't use
layers, and have not spent nearly enough of my dwindling time on learning
all of the techniques.

As to tripods, I hate them, though I do use one from time to time.  With the
shot in question, I was trying to see how far I could push my monopod
skills.

Your image does get more detail than I achieved, but, for the life of me, I
don't see how you could have found an uglier array of hardware on a pole.  I
know, you were just testing the gear, but that bunch of insulators and
rigging must have been assembled by a lineman having a real hangover.

Thanks for the inputs.  When the old Dell dies, I will consider all of my
shortcomings and try to assemble a more capable system of hardware and
software.  Whether or not I would spend the necessary time to learn to
utilize it all is a separate question.  Until then, I will continue to take
and process the images that appear in my viewfinder.  I have learned a lot
from your inputs in the past, and I feel I have benefitted from them.  I
guess I'm just resistant to change.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA