[OM] John Hermanson intro for the OM newbies

Subject: [OM] John Hermanson intro for the OM newbies
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 22:20:45 -0400 (EDT)
CN writes:
>I see that the terminology has been carried over to Sony DSLRs with
the
>A900 having 40 segments.  But the A900 manual makes no mention of
>distance integration perhaps because many lenses don't pass distance
>data.  The A1 with its integrated 28-200mm equivalent lens does know
>focusing distance and the sensor based exposure system can have lots
>more segments.  By the time we get to the NEX-7, however,
>"multi-segment" has morphed into "multi-pattern" and again there is no
>mention of distance.

FWIW Canyon first started introducing lenses with distance encoders in
1990 along with the Eos 10S.   The exact specs are kept under their hat
but Chuck Westfall thinks the distances
provided to the cam often were rather approximate.  Not ever lens
reports this but almost all USM ones now do.
ETTL-II uses the focus distance for flash metering (not that is spot on
most the time).  Oddly they took out reporting focusing distance in
EXIFfor the 5D classic
though previous models did this  No Canyon software apparently required
it.  DLO in DPP does use it  now but provides a slider for focus
distance if it is not reported.
Have never become enamored of ETTL-2 but wished I could use it with
modifiers for macro /macro fill but it isn't that great then either.

Student of Dr. Flash,  Mike