[OM] Got a new (OT) squeeze; my poor pooch

Subject: [OM] Got a new (OT) squeeze; my poor pooch
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 12:02:50 -0500
I recently picked up a beautiful Mamiya RB67 Pro-S with two useful "C"
lenses, the 90 and the 250.  A couple test rolls of Portra and Ektar
await processing, but I was able to soup a roll of Fomapan 100 this
weekend.  Eight minutes in Rodie 1+50.  My bottle of Rodinal is
hilariously old and a retching brown, but as it is all I had, it had to
do, and it did pretty well.  I scanned and put my favorite of the lot on
my homepage:

http://myweb.uiowa.edu/jfwilcox

I was happy with the film and exposure for holding the highlights.
Other than that, I am still working on the amount of shadow detail I
want.  This issue is somewhat an aesthetic one with regard to this
photo, but it is a larger concern as I figure out what the standard
profile needs to be for this film/developer combo in Vuescan.

For anyone familiar with scanning BW in Vuescan, I initially scanned all
frames selecting "Generic" as the film type, since there is no film type
available for Fomapan.  I had to adjust the curve to bring up the middle
values quite a bit.  With some experimentation I found I liked one of
the various TMAX 100 profiles a little better from the outset.  That's
fine as far as it goes, but it feels like a pig in a poke to proceed in
this way.  In the end I guess it always is.

I don't see why there would be any point in scanning in 16bit rather
than 8bit if doing BW, so I don't see why the option is available, or
why anyone would scan BW in RGB mode, which is also apparently possible.

Any comments on this stuff certainly much appreciated.

Secondly, our dog had a minor surgery about a week ago to remove a
wart-like mass from her lower eyelid.  She has to wear the Cone of
Scratchlessness for a total of 10 days.  Scroll down the page if you
have the heart.  She was pretty doped up in those photos, but acts now
almost like The Cone is part of her skin.  It will apparently be more of
a relief for us than her when we can remove it permanently.

Joel W.

                          wherever you are