Re: [OM] Got a new (OT) squeeze; my poor pooch

Subject: Re: [OM] Got a new (OT) squeeze; my poor pooch
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 15:51:30 -0500
On Mon, Jun 18, 2012, at 03:32 PM, Joel Wilcox wrote:

> > As a general rule, we seem to get the best results if we scan as a
> > color negative and then desaturate it in an editor. I would recommend
> > scanning in higher bit-depth and save as a 16-bit tiff. Apply your
> > gamma/curves adjustments in the editor.
>
> I'll give it a try, though I don't see why it would make a difference.

BTW, a few years ago I had a number of email exchanges with Ed Hamrick
about profiling.  The driver behind custom profiling is that the canned
profiles are often near misses (or worse), but they provide the urge,
you might say.  The fact that there are canned BW profiles led me ask
for the ability to build one's own BW profiles as well.  He wasn't
interested in doing this.  Maybe I should have pestered him harder.
Maybe I don't understand something significant.  It seems to me that
over time the film type that will persist the longest is going to be BW,
so what is good for BW is good for Vuescan and vice versa.

Joel W.