Re: [OM] IMG: Faviana and Reymundo

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Faviana and Reymundo
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 10:51:52 -0500
> Peter Krogh (The Dam Book) recommends In-Camera Scanning
> http://www.thedambook.com/downloads/Camera_Scanning_Krogh.pdf
> I've tried it with a Beseler Slide Duplicator and the IDMII Canon.  It does
> fine for quick and easy but I get better results with the Nikon LS5000.
>  Peter disagrees and says the camera scans are better.

The deal breaker for me is the IR cleaning. Using a camera as a
scanner is a great idea when you are trying to scan a half million
slides in a real hurry, but then it comes back to bite you on the back
end.

The reality is that the Nikon scanner with bulk feeder is possibly the
best "affordable" solution around. I think Tina has the right idea.
Automate the process as good as you can. The resulting images are
actually remarkably fine for most purposes. (The VueScan IR cleaning
with Kodachrome actually works very well now). When you or somebody
wants a specific image blown up to massive proportions or when the 95%
rule does not apply, then you go back to that one slide in question
and either rescan to the best of your abilities or outsource to
someone who has a drum scanner.

If I were to venture a guess, I'd say that Tina probably encounters
less than a dozen slides per year that the Nikon scanner isn't
sufficient for. After all, this is her business. In the world of
business, you do just enough to provide your product to your
customers. If the customer is happy, she should be happy. Anything
beyond that is personal pride. Personal pride doesn't pay the bills.

Ken

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx