Re: [OM] Miscellaneous Junk Mail

Subject: Re: [OM] Miscellaneous Junk Mail
From: Scott Gomez <sgomez.baja@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 09:40:02 -0700
Unless the headers of the message indicate that the message originated from
your IP, then it's just typical spamming.

Spammers can (and most always do):

1. Fake the originating address as will be seen by recipients
2. Use a phony return address so the angry replies or revenge spam attempts
go to some poor schlub who had nothing to do with it
3. Fake any and all other information which they have the ability to
change, especially that which is readily visible to the recipients, and
most especially if it will be that which is visible to those recipients who
are running the common Microsoft email programs.

While one can examine the parts of the email headers that cannot be
modified by the spammer, and probably determine the originating mail
server, it's rarely of any use. The majority of spam originates from either
a) servers where the owners/operators don't give a damn and are probably
making money from the spammer, or b) from compromised Windows machines
where the owner hasn't got a clue they're compromised or how to fix it.

Just delete it and get on with your life, is my recommendation. Until
server and network operators take action (which doesn't seem to be anyone's
priority, most of the time), there's basically nothing you can do.

---
Scott Gomez