[OM] Flash for graduations [was John Hermanson intro for the OM newbies]

Subject: [OM] Flash for graduations [was John Hermanson intro for the OM newbies]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 13:28:08 -0700
On 6/20/2012 6:34 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> I dislike flash too because it's too damned hard to get right and even
> when it is... it isn't.  The only problem is that there are certain
> photos that can't be taken any other way even with present high ISO
> sensors.  If you don't have to shoot those types of photos so much the
> better.  But even you have a 540EZ now, right?  :-)

I do. It was purchased for a specific use/event, for which it performed well. I
had been asked by a good friend, the
same one who later performed our wedding ceremony, to take some photos of her
graduation ceremony. I didn't visit ahead
of time to assess, but was pretty sure I would be shooting from some distance,
therefore with small aperture, and with
relatively low lighting. That turned out to be the case.

The flash handled the situation well, with adequate power and zoom type angle
adjustability. Still, overall I preferred
the shots I took without flash at high ISOs. They required more work in post*
but are much more natural looking.

Compare light and color in this
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=SFBayArea/JuliaGrad/1-Grad&image=_MG_4357crii.jpg>
vs. this.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=SFBayArea/JuliaGrad/1-Grad&image=_MG_4359crii.jpg>

IS can make a big difference, too, If folks hold a pose for a moment and you
are lucky. 1/50 @ 300 mm.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=SFBayArea/JuliaGrad/1-Grad&image=_MG_4361crii.jpg>

I have not used the flash since. At least I remembered to remove the batteries.
:-) Not that hard when they needed
recharging.

> My granddaughter's high school graduation is this weekend and I'm
> dreading it photographically.  There's no practical way I can do flash
> photography in the auditorium where it will be held and even the 5D's
> 3600 ISO isn't really adequate for the poor lighting there.  Oh, well.

Is the stage lighting that bad? Most such public events, although in dim
spaces, have quite a bit of light where the
action is. As you may have noticed, I mostly chose to use ISO 1600 and -2/3 EV,
rather than ISO 3200. The noise effects
in darker areas is about the same, but I protected against the highlights
blowing out more.

As your only choice seems to be high ISOs, approach it with enthusiasm and do
the best you can!

My impression is that, while the 60D has higher noise at low ISOs, it passed
the 5D at higher ones. I suppose I should
do a test ...

Dr. No Flash, Phffft.

* Except for awful, hard reflections in some flash shots. I had to flip/swap an
eye on one image.