Re: [OM] Poppies

Subject: Re: [OM] Poppies
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 16:39:15 -0700
On 6/20/2012 9:14 AM, Bob Whitmire wrote:
> Not that it's necessarily a negative association, but don't you recall in
> days of yore when old ladies sold paper poppies by the basketsfull around
> Veterans Day, which I don't think was Veterans Day then, but rather Armistice
> Day or some such.

I do recall the flowers, when I was quite young. But I didn't know anyone who
had died, and wasn't aware of anyone who
had lost someone close and talked about it. There was just no lingering sense
of loss from the war before last in my
social milieu. I was far more aware of the social and emotional legacy of the
Great Depression, but even that was damped
down for people my parents age by the burst of energy and optimism after WWII.

Poppies on Flanders' fields and related things just weren't part of my
experience growing up. California in the postwar
'40s and '50s was a very different world.

It seems to me that it was at least partially an imported idea that perhaps
didn't fully 'take' here? Certainly it died
out long ago when I was a child.

Moose