Re: [OM] Film scanning

Subject: Re: [OM] Film scanning
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 16:15:45 -0700
On 6/22/2012 4:57 AM, C.H.Ling wrote:
> I'm not so happy with the scanning quality of my Epson 4870.

4800 dpi on my Canon 9950F flatbed is not as good as 4000 on FS4000 film
scanner, but not bad at all. It responds well
to sharpen or deconvolution.

> I tried using
> 5D II for copying negative two years ago (at that time we got an order of
> scanning 10K negatives) but the post adjustment and dusting was very time
> consuming so we finally just stick with scanning. I think it is time to
> consider the 5D II workflow again, this time the target is slide so it could
> be easier.
>
> Here is my setup and the preliminary results looked promising.
>
> http://www.accura.com.hk/temp/P6226848.jpg
>
> Lens is OM 80/4 with 5D II on Olympus focusing rail and copy stand.

I used 80/4 Auto, but with Auto Bellows and slide copier attachment. I think
it's a better set-up. There are two big
problems with this approach.

First is simple mechanical manipulation to set each slide in place. The Slide
Copier is a big help with this, but still
requires being present and involved the whole time.

Second is dust removal. Without the IR channel a scanner can provide, this is
an endless headache.

I don't know about the 4870. My 9950F is better than shooting with 80/4 Auto
and 5D, and infinitely quicker and easier.
Drop 12 slides into the holder and let it do the rest.

For me, life is too short for the camera copy solution.

I'd go beyond just unplugging and replugging everything, I'd be cleaning all
the plugs, fingers, contacts, etc., inside
the Nikon and the connection cables.

Don't Give Up Scanning Moose