[OM] BW film scan testing

Subject: [OM] BW film scan testing
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 23:14:33 -0500
So, in the interest of moving the art of B&W film scanning forward a
couple of inches (about 4cm for the undeveloped world), I've been
doing some scan tests. I took one negative that contains the full
spectrum of tonal values and scanned using VueScan using about every
imaginable combination. The results are quite interesting to say the
least. My grouse about tonal separation just might have some validity.
I might also have some solutions. This little exercise, whether it has
any value to anybody else, will be extremely valuable to me.

This will most certainly end up as a MAJOR article on Zone-10. I'll
include files for everybody to do their own experimenting too, I
think.

I'll just tease with this: A straight monochrome scan (generic film
setting, neutral) turned out pretty good, but changing to
multi-exposure (in-scanner HDR) revealed quite different tonal curves,
as did multi-exposure combined with an RGB scanner exposure
adjustment. Otherwise identical scans revealed different imaging
characteristics.

AG Schnozz

--
Ken Norton