Re: [OM] Film scanning

Subject: Re: [OM] Film scanning
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 00:29:44 +0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "Chuck Norcutt" <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Interesting.  I had never thought of live view for focusing a slide or
> negative copy.  What are you using for illumination?  Apparently not
> flash since you're focusing with live view... or maybe focusing and
> taking lights are different?

I do use flash, a FL-50 illuminated from the back as shown on the photo:

http://www.accura.com.hk/temp/P6226848.jpg

The illumination evenness is checked and color temp is registered on DPP.
Basically I just need to focus once but the focusing rail sometimes shifted
a little so I check the focus once in a while.

> When I try the 5D again for slide copying I'm going to try using a
> Swiffer Duster to clean the slide.
> <http://www.pgestore.com/Swiffer-Duster/swiffer-duster,default,sc.html>
> I've never been brave enough to try it on the sensor as Ken does but I
> have no such reservations on a piece of film.

At the moment I use a brush and blower to clean the slide, the Swiffer
Duster seems a good idea, I have to check out the local store here.

BTW, I got a better test slide, the resolution looks promising:

http://www.accura.com.hk/temp/IMG_0001.JPG

Original slide taken with OM 50/1.4 at F8, Kodak Elite II (EB II).
Process with DPP USM strength=1.

C.H.Ling