Re: [OM] IMG: More Skippers

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: More Skippers
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 22:53:41 -0400
Diffraction is a physical characteristic of the focal ratio and has
nothing to do with the lens itself.  At any given focal ratio the
minimum size that can be imaged of a point source of light is referred
to as the "airy disc" and it is determined by the focal ratio.  Poor
optics may make the minimum size larger but never smaller.  Therefore
the maximum theoretical resolution obtainable is determined by the
aperture.  When the minimum size of the airy disc exceeds the size of an
individual pixel it means the the maximum resolution obtainable at that
aperture is less then the pixel count on the sensor.

For a 4/3 size sensor of 5MP (E-1) the size of the Airy disc equals the
pixel size at about f/8 or f/9... and that assumes perfect optics.  But
it's sort of a squishy number since the size of the Airy disc also
varies with wavelength of light.  At f/8 you might be resolving all the
green and blue pixels but not all the red ones (longer wavelength)

But things that are out of focus are not resolved either.  Smaller
apertures lead to greater depth of field while at the same time reducing
ultimate resolution.  Somewhere there's a happy median.

Chuck Norcutt