Re: [OM] IMG: More Skippers

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: More Skippers
From: "Jim Nichols" <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 12:15:53 -0500
Hi Chris & Chris,

I've been following with interest the latest accidents with the Osprey.  As
a young 2nd Lieutenant assigned to the Wright-Patterson AFB Wind Tunnel
Branch, I conducted the first wind tunnel tests of Bell's entry in a USAF
competition for advanced vertical lift machines.  This was in 1952.  There
were also entries from McDonnell and Sikorsky.  This Bell Convertiplane,
designed  by the late Bob Lichton, was the forerunner of the Osprey.  The
complexities of such an aircraft were seen early on, so it is no surprise to
me that it took over half a century to get them into service.  And the
complexities still haunt them.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA