Re: [OM] IMG: More Skippers

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: More Skippers
From: "Chris Trask" <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 11:43:07 -0700

> I am tragically familiar with the Ryan X-13.  Lou Everett, mentioned in
the
> article, was killed in one of these.  Lou was a college classmate of mine,
> and gave me my first stick time in an airplane.  He was towing research
> sailplanes to 7000 ft in early morning air, using a repowered Stearman.
He
> allowed me to ride up with him, and, after release, to fly the Stearman
down
> and back over the field to drop the tow rope.
>
> A member of the Mississippi Air Guard, Lou would buzz the campus in his
P-47
> ride.  Fond memories of a fellow student whose life was cut too short.

    On a similar line, the fellow who gave me my first airplane ride (in a
J-3 Cub no less) was killed when a drunk driver blew through a stop sign at
60+ MPH.  It was from him that I learned about using the lower half of the
door as a stall warning indicator.  He lived airplanes and was restoring a
Cessna 120 when he died.

Chris