Re: [OM] IMG: Morning Coffee

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Morning Coffee
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 16:43:27 -0500
> Here is another from my stay with the Monueles family.  Does Oscar
> peeking at me detract from the photo?

Absolutely not!  I didn't notice him at first, but once you pointed it
out, I almost burst out laughing. The photo comes alive to me and
forces a link between me, the viewer with the photographer and the
people in the photograph.

In film/television, it's called "The fourth wall". You aren't supposed
to break it. Of course, there have been a few successful shows and
movies through the years that did. Magnum P.I., Cosby. Rockford Files,
Columbo, Young Frankenstein. Oh, and don't forget that Alred Hitchcock
would use the technique once in a while too.

Afghan Girl.

There are a couple other famous photographs that are lurking on
outskirts of my memory.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx