Re: [OM] Rexall Drug Sign - Winterset, Iowa

Subject: Re: [OM] Rexall Drug Sign - Winterset, Iowa
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 16:28:11 -0400
On Jun 29, 2012, at 3:22 PM, Joel Wilcox wrote:

> It appears that you actually did read it.  There are many people I know
> who would say that without having read it.  It is like something died
> and stunk up the place.

Yep. Read it twice, in fact. I was trying to dissect how such a short, small
novel could make such an impact in a world of seven-thousand pagers. It had its
moments, but all in all I never did quite figure out what the fuss was about. I
recall some specific objections I had at the time, but can't recall what they
were. Been too long. Some incongruity in scenes or some such. Just don't
remember.

> There are so many writers in this town dreaming for a break like Robert
> Waller got that the derision and envy was palpable.

We have that here in Occupied Canada with a fellow by the name of Stephen King.
That said, he and his wife have given away so much money to worthy causes that
the glitterati no longer actually hold their noses in public, but there's
still, as you note, a palpable sense of "How come him and not me?" The fact
that he managed to attach himself to some passably good movies has helped.
Haven't ready anything of his in a long, long time. Misery was the last novel I
read that I actually enjoyed, and there were several before that I didn't.

> On the other hand, I tried to read his second book and couldn't muster
> the will to get past the second or third page. "Slow Dance at Cedar
> Bend" or something like that.  Whatever the first novel was, the "magic"
> was not to be repeated.

One song wonders. One book wonders.

--Bob