Re: [OM] IMG: Garden Surprise

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Garden Surprise
From: "Chris Trask" <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 12:25:11 -0700

> Nice, Chris.  Is it surprising because it flowered at this time of the
year,
> or had you given it up as one that would flower at all?

    Guayacan is one of the slowest growing plants you can think of, next to
Elephant Tree (aka Copal) and Boojum Tree.  When I planted this over 12
years ago it was about 8" tall.  Now it is all of 24" tall.  You can imagine
how long it will take for it to reach it's mature height of about eight
feet.

    I was not at all certain when it would bloom, if ever, or at what time
of year, so I was in both shock and amazement when I saw this.  I put a
posting on a native plant list and found that others had theirs blooming as
well, so mine is not out of the ordinary.

Chris