Re: [OM] A Question About Batteries

Subject: Re: [OM] A Question About Batteries
From: "Chris Trask" <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 14:48:17 -0700

> You should read this: <http://www.buhla.de/Foto/batt-adapt-US.pdf>
> It will tell you everything you ever wanted to know (and maybe more)
> about means of working around the mercury battery problem.  Zinc-air
> cells are discussed on page 2.  Pay particular attention to the problem
> (and solutions) of stacking zinc-air cells because they require air to
> reach the holes punched into the case for air to enter.  The Wein cell
> (specialized non-hearing aid zinc-air battery) is also discussed.

    I got the zinc-air batteries in the mail today and popped a couple into
a Luna Pro exposure meter.  I had made a nylon sleeve for the smaller
diameter yesterday, and the batteries slipped in as nicely as you could ask.
Turned on the battery test switch and the needle fell inside the bounds of
the test mark, just inside the high end.  Went outside and tested on some
mentally known exposure levels and it came out just right.  Later I'll test
it with the spot meter attachment to see if it has been worth the effort and
expense, as little as either has been.

    This was a lot easier than taking the meter apart and adding a diode.
Now I just need to wait and see how long these batteries last.  At 75¢ each
they're a lot less expensive than buying a conversion kit from Gossen.  In
the meantime, I have an idea for my own drop-in converter that will allow
the use of the higher voltage silver-oxide batteries.

Chris