Re: [OM] New Player in Scanning?

Subject: Re: [OM] New Player in Scanning?
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 17:10:08 -0500
> Apparently, Ed Hamrick may not have them working with Vuescan just yet.

According to the Hamrick website, the PrimeFilm 7250PRO and the
PrimeFilm 120 are supported.

As to the 7250PRO3, I'm assuming this is the same as the 7250PRO, but
it might be worth asking first. What interestes me about this scanner
is the batch scan of an entire roll of film. As these are all rolls of
negatives, the 3.6D is not a problem. Not as good as the Nikons, but
that's not an issue with negatives.

I'm waiting it out to see what Kodak does with the Portra line. If
they kill it off in this restructuring, then I see little use in
continuing any form of color film photography. If they do keep it
running, then I'll go ahead and start processing my own C41 and
possibly getting one of these scanners.

I do notice that the scan speed of the 7250PRO3 is as slow as a
plugged drain. Just over three minutes per image at 3600 dpi. That's
miserable and probably doesn't include the pre-focus, pre-exposure and
post-image automation. That's slower than the V-ED. But since I can
auto scan entire rolls, this means that I can start a roll and go
away. It would take two hours per roll.

The Nikon 5000 is MUCH faster.

--
Ken Norton