Re: [OM] (OT) American Flags and Geraniums

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) American Flags and Geraniums
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 08:16:47 +0200
Wait...we are discussing flags and suddenly we are discussing the correlation
between car and penis size. Amazing list ;-)

I really do not think that helping other countries is why Americans are proud
of the USA. Most Americans do not give a hoot about the outside world and think
foreign aid is a waste. I think Ken's explanation is right on the money.

In Europe, there is a lot of variation; Spain, which in many cultural respects
is similar to the USA, is a country with many flags as well, and particularly
in the past few years with the victories in the Euro 2008, the 2010 World Cup
and this summer's Euro 2012 championships.

In Denmark people also hoist the flag quite often, typically in their gardens
on a nice summer day (such as they are). Also, flags are commonly used in
birthday and other celebrations.  On the other hand, the use of a flag by a car
dealer, as is common in the USA (especially imported car dealers tend to have
really huge flags :-)) would be considered vulgar and out of place in most
European countries.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman