Re: [OM] Getting closer (Digital -> Adox CHS mapping)

Subject: Re: [OM] Getting closer (Digital -> Adox CHS mapping)
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 09:17:30 -0500
> Ken, with regards to your friend (I think I know who you are talking
> about...)

Possibly, but I'll deny everything. For all you know, it's Joel. Yeah,
that's the ticket. We'll get Joel in trouble with his lovely wife.
Can't say Tom Scales anymore--he moved to Florida and is collecting
kids like he collected OM gear.

> While I can see the humour in the situation, it's also a little bit
> sad...

Every couple's relationship is unique to their own situation and
personalities. The funny/sad thing is that she holds back information
from him too for exactly the same reasons. Both are highly educated
professionals and earn a lot of money, so these all land in the "toys
because I can" category. But the carpet needs replacing, etc., etc.
The thing about that is not money, but time/energy. It's easier to
spend money on the toys than on house upgrades because the house
upgrades come with a time demand. When pushed on the subject, though,
he spends about the same amount on lenses as he did on film, so it's a
wash. It's all good.

> While my wife felt very bad about me selling the OM kit...

We ALL felt sad about you selling the OM kit!

> She certainly shares the opinion that this E-system stuff in no way
> compares to the elegance and haptics of the OM system, but has been very
> supportive and co-excited. Oh, and she also thinks digital monochrome
> pales in comparison to film :-)

Smart woman! I agree on all counts.

> It's very satisfying - and important, I think- to be open and share
> one's interests and acquisitions with one's life mate. How does one
> otherwise expect her to share her passions, secrets, interests, and
> dreams with her husband in return?

In the case of my friend and his wife (who is also friends with my
wife), their key to marital survival is to allow each other time to
themselves away from each other doing their own interests. So, for a
week or so every year he heads off to backpack with the cameras in
some wierd spot and she goes to Florida with friends. Then they follow
that up with a hiking trip together. My wife and I did that for a few
years until kids came along and finances were too tight. As to the
camera gear, all she asks is to have a nice picture or two for the
living room and good pictures of the family. (As we all know, family
pictures requires more/better gear).

> I have the most wonderful, supportive and understanding wife when it
> comes to my interests. Never complains when a giant tripod and view
> camera stands around crowding our rather small town house. In return, I
> never discourage or complain about her endeavours. I wish such a wife
> upon all fellow photography enthusiasts...

My giant tripods have to be kept within the man-cave. I used to have a
camera or two lying around, but now with the dog, I have learned to
keep them bagged. It has a tendency to lick the cameras.

As to the supportive and understanding wife? Well, mine is kinda sorta
that way. When finances are tight, she expects my interests to pay
their own way. When finances aren't so tight, then it's the classic
battle between sofas and strobes, carpet and cameras, fashion and
film. Probably about every three years we have to have a sitdown
conversation to reallign priorities. Her pashion is also her
profession, so it's easy to make that fit, but my pashion is usually
just a time/energy/money pit. With this move, though, she's wanting me
to get a new camera to help offset the "sacrifice".  :)

AG
--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx