Re: [OM] Eeeek!

Subject: Re: [OM] Eeeek!
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 14:02:39 -0700
On 8/2/2012 7:40 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
> Moose came up for air:
>> 179 Shots Today Moose
> That's all? Who's the poser now?

I'm not a journalist and don't shoot events or sports. I don't think there are
any other situations where there are as
many as one usefully photogenic subject available per minute.

EXIF says 179 shots in 1 hr, 55 min, so I shot 1.6 per minute. Ergo, I have
some editing to do. :-)

A quick run-through confirms that to be the case. I took a lot of shots I knew
wouldn't be much good, just to see what
happened, and what I might learn about how camera and lens work. I also took
some duplicates, not enough, really, to see
how focus, DOF and detail resolution interact.

Focus on relatively small things close vs. background is MUCH better than on
the E-PL1, and focus in decent light is
very fast, but where it's CDAF will focus in a complex, 3D subject is just
'different' than with Canon PDAF.

Example: A bee on the dark center of a sunflower. With the Canons, centering
the central focus point on the bee would
focus on the bee. The OM-D and 14-150 focused on the surface of the flower. I
got a fuzzy bee. As you saw with the bee
on coreopsis, a dark bee on very light background nailed the bee.

Just looked again; more complicated than I thought. I may have to post some
examples. Here's one from the E-PL1, where
PDAF would have focused on the front parts of the tangle.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/E-PL1%20First%20Outing/slides/P7270073.html>
The OM-D would have done better, with its
smaller focus areas, but still would probably have focused somewhere within the
deep subject.

More study and experience needed there.

The recent thread on diffraction is of great interest, as small sensor or not,
I often had less DOF than I would have
liked.

D. O. F. Moose