Re: [OM] Eeeek!

Subject: Re: [OM] Eeeek!
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 20:01:55 -0400
The 5D is less sophisticated on focus control?  Eh, what?  See page 152
of the Canon 5D user's manual and the discussion of custom function 4.
If fn 4 is set to 1 instead of the default value of 0 the AEL button on
the back of the camera (marked with "*") becomes the focus control and
the AEL function is then only activated by a half press of the shutter
button.  Pressing the "*" button with your right thumb causes the camera
to focus.  It will never be refocused until you press it again.  It's
been set that way on my camera for about 6 years now.

I get totally frustrated by the P&S cameras that want to refocus (and
delay) every time the shutter button is pressed.  The Minolta A1 does
the same but at least the AF can be turned off (perhaps after
autofocusing initially).

Chuck Norcutt