Re: [OM] Olympics iPhone Photos

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympics iPhone Photos
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2012 22:51:40 -0400
I'd very much like to see how he has the binoculars physically connected
to the iphone.  In the comments there seems to be some mystery
surrounding how he manages to focus the phone with the binoculars as the
objective.  This method of combining the two optics is familiar to
telescope users and is called "eyepiece projection".  To make it work
only requires that the iphone focus be locked on infinity and that the
binoculars be focused (for the eye) on the subject in question.  I
suspect that he is viewing the subject through one of the eyepieces (and
keeping it in focus there) while the other eyepiece is projecting an
image into the iphone.  The only mystery here is how he manages to hold
phone and binoculars rigidly together.  Presumably he has some sort of
custom mounting bracket for the two.

An 8-10 MP point & shoot with long range zoom would be much more
practical and likely produce much better results.

Chuck Norcutt