[OM] [OT] Watch out for Wild Parsnip

Subject: [OM] [OT] Watch out for Wild Parsnip
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2012 22:50:40 -0400
A year ago my neighbor built a 6 foot high wooden fence next to and
about a foot away from my own 4 foot chain link fence.  This year that
space has become a growth area for invasive species.  A couple days ago
I noticed some butterflies flitting about some purple loosestrife which
has recently sprouted there.  I thought maybe I should pull it up but
went to check first whether I might catch a napping butterfly or bee
there with my camera.

As I approached I noted lots of honey and bumble bees in attendance as
well but none of them were sitting still for more than 10 milliseconds.
  I mutterd "rats!" under my breath and proceeded back toward the house.
  It was then that I noticed a plant I've never seen before.  It was
about 5 feet high with clusters of yellow-green flower buds.  I think it
must have grown there practically overnight as I'd never noticed it before.

My first thought was giant hog weed because it was fairly large (it
grows to 15 feet tall).  But searching Google I was reminded that giant
hog weed has white flowers and has been described as "Queen Anne's lace
on steroids".  But the giant hog weed articles also pointed me to
articles on wild parsnip because they both have a nasty trait.  Both of
them have sap that, if you get it on your skin and are exposed to
sunlight the sap will cause phyto-photo-dermatitis... or sunburn on
steroids.  Although I've never seen it before it is now common
throughout all of the US and Canada.  Be cautious and learn to recognize
it.  It can cause really bad burns and scarring.  I picked the following
brochure since it best illustrates the different forms the plant takes
at different stages of its life.

<http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CEsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.co.koochiching.mn.us%2Fdept%2Fland_%26_forestry%2FWild%2520Parsnip%2520Decrip%2520and%2520%2520Info042011.pdf&ei=3i4fUPvdLca36wGt1oDwDQ&usg=AFQjCNG4rpZwgYil9FbZ65PU6nEsPlC9Mg&sig2=xuEH9TDtGp-ltRPH6nWoDQ>

Chuck Norcutt