Re: [OM] They're coming around to my way of thinking

Subject: Re: [OM] They're coming around to my way of thinking
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 13:48:33 -0500
> Yeah. I read Tuck's turn-a-bout yesterday. Would have sworn he would "fall"
> for the OMD.

When he did the recent comparison and showed the picture of the E-Pen
next to the Leica, I pretty well figured that he wasn't actually going
to buy the OM-D. There was far too much hesitation. For somebody who
buys the latest/greatest, it just seemed too logical that he'd get the
OM-D. However, as he himself admits, he gets bored with a system too
quickly. The m43 system has pretty well run its course for him. Yet, I
do fully expect him to "see the light" in about eight months and buy
one.

It also comes down to the viewfinder. It is my own opinion that Sony
has the best electronic viewfinder on the market right now. They have
done a great job of implementation--especially in the A77. It is
unfortunate that the NEX-7 is such as substantial downgrade from the
A77 in many ways.

> I'm in no position to buy anything now, but the lenses for the NEX-7 look
> so honkin' big!

They aren't. They are actually quite small and are about as small as
you can go and maintain a good operational balance. I don't know about
the rest of you, but I find nearly all point-and-shoot cameras
extremely difficult to hold steadily. The larger lenses of the NEX
series help counter this and allow the camera to be cradled in the
palm of your upturned left hand with the fingers falling directly to
the controls.

After just buying a house and dealing with the remodeling, I'm not
sure I'll be buying anything for a while. The darkroom needs a
ceiling, paint, sink and electrical work. Oh, and a trip to Michigan
to pick up a 4x5 enlarger which needs to be bolted to a wall.

Basically, I'm keeping a close eye on the NEX-7 because I'll likely
pick one up on the second-hand market. The 24MP will suffice for a
while.

AG

--
Ken Norton